ToDo Android Client App
Use the Android sample app to quickly get a client app running on your mobile device that connects to the Akula Server. In this document, you configure and run the ToDo sample app, as shown below:
This document contains the following sections:
Configure the Akula Server
Before you can run the client app, you must have already configured the Akula Server and the ToDo server app. For more information, see How to Build Your First Akula App.
Android SDK system requirements
To develop Android client apps, your development environment must meet the following system requirements:
- Windows or Mac OS
- Java JDK 6
- Android SDK supporting API Level 10 (Android OS 2.3.3): http://developer.android.com/sdk
Import the ToDo project
You must import the tutorial project into your IDE before you can work on it. The steps below describe this process for Eclipse, but you can modify them for your specific IDE.
The source code for To-Do client app ships in the ToDoSupportingFiles.zip file downloaded at the beginning of this tutorial.
- Ensure that you have installed the Android SDK supporting API Level 10 (Android OS 2.3.3).
- Locate the \ToDoSupportingFiles\android\ToDo App\ directory in the location where you unzipped the ToDoSupportingFiles.zip file.
- Copy the ToDo App directory to a location on your machine where you store your projects.
- Start Eclipse.
- Ensure that the Android ADT plugin is installed.
- In Eclipse, select File > Import.
- Select General > Existing Projects into Workspace.
- Select Next.
- Browse to the location of the \ToDoSupportingFiles\android\ToDo App\ directory in the location where you unzipped the ToDoSupportingFiles.zip file.
- Select Open.
- Check the box next to ToDo in the Import Project dialog box.
- Select Finish.
The ToDo Tutorial project appears in Eclipse.
- Add the android-sdk\lib\AkulaAndroid-2.0.0.jar to your Android project.
- Open the \ToDoSupportingFiles\android\ToDo App\src\com\verivo\sample\todo\ToDoApplication.java file. In the Eclipse package explorer, this path may look like \ToDo App\src\com.verivo.sample.todo\ToDoApplication.java.
Modify the following line to specify the location of the ToDo server app on your Akula server:
private static String serverURL = "
For example, if the server is running on your local machine, edit the line as shown below:
private static String serverURL = "";
Don't use localhost to reference the Akula Server. Use the IP address or DNS name of your machine.
- Save your changes and build the app. Run the app in a simulator or on a device.
Deploy the Android sample app
Depending on your development environment, you can deploy the To-Do App on a simulator or an actual device. For example, to deploy the To-Do App on a simulator:
- Open an Android simulator on your system.
- Edit the run configuration of the To-Do App to target the simulator.
Run the app. On the simulator, you should see the log in screen shown above.